Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Off the beaten registry

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions per se, but I am somewhat on a let's be super-responsible-now-that-we're-having-a-child-kick, and if I do say so myself. . .I am on a roll! Seriously, the bed is made, the dishes are clean, a major piece of furniture was recently purchased and the baby's registry is started. Yup, I am getting stuff done my friends. And today, I tackled an often frustrating task. . . I finally bought a few just mildly overdue wedding gifts.

It can be tough to find the right gift for a couple a few months after the wedding. At that point, the registry is usually depleted and you can be stuck with I don't know, either a set of $500 Faberge accent plates you can't exactly afford or measuring spoons for $4.99. Not exactly prime pickings.

As I've said before, we're lucky that nowadays it's considered perfectly fine etiquette to stray from a couple's registry, and if you're past the wedding date, you might find that you need to do so. The problem is that it seems all we know is Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Williams Sonoma & Target. And don't get me wrong, those are some of my favorite stores, but sometimes we need hints on where else to shop. So if you're in the same position I was in this afternoon, here are some gifts that almost any newlywed can use, from a few stores that are off the beaten path.
Chateau Pillar Holder, $55 - $75 at Shabby Chic
Veuve Cliquot Traveller, $69.99 at Wine.com
Set of 4 Black Lace Vinyl Placemats, $16 at Smak ParlourFleur de lys towel collection, $15-$110 at Shaby Chic
Set of 10 Pantone mugs, $128 at A+R
Lion cache pot, $85 at The Source Perrier
Hearty tea pot set, $140 at Molla Space
Gleeful soaps, $20 each at The Source Perrier
Cube wine bottle holder, $90 at bitters coSet of 8 wood laser-cut coasters, $43 at A+R
Still looking? A few other favorites; Anthropologie, Jo Malone, Zingerman's, Etsy, CB2, The Container Store, Z Gallerie, Charlotte Moss, The MoMa Design Store, The Olive Press, Clio, Villeroy & Boch, Dwell, Superdeluxe, Tabletop, Sur la table, L'Occitane, Phew! Ok already? Go, shoo. Shop!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas. I love William Sonoma, but I'm so tired of EVERYONE'S house having the same William Sonoma stuff... This is refreshing!

Down Comforter said...

Love those coasters! And the
Veuve Cliquot Traveller is a great idea :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...